Capitol Trivia tests the memories of the seasoned Capitol hands and offers
newbies a chance to learn something about the dark underbelly of California
1. Who was “lead-foot Lou”?
2. What are the ‘twin towers’?
3. Who “looked like a hayseed,” but was one of the Legislature’s smartest
4. What area hotel was known as the hottest party spot for politicians?
5. Phil Angelides is a sitting treasurer running for governor. Who was the
last treasurer to be elected governor?
6. Who was last sitting treasurer to run for governor?
7. Who was the last California governor to
resin in office?
8. Who was the last governor to be born in California?
1. Assemblyman Louis J. Papan, D-Milbrae, who got the nickname for his
regular, high-speed drives along Interstate 80 between Sacramento and San
Francisco. 2. The state office buildings off P Street between 7th and 8th
streets, about three blocks from the Capitol.
3. Assemblyman John Thurman
of Modesto. 4. The El Rancho in West Sacramento. 5. Friend William
Richardson in 1923. 6. Kathleen Brown in 1994. 7. Earl Warren, who resigned
to become chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. 8. Jerry Brown, who was
born in San Francisco.